The Arts Council’s Artists in Schools program offers matching grants – of 50-75 percent! – to public and private schools in Cumberland County, including Fort Bragg.
The funds help cover artist residencies, assembly performances and workshops. Educational goals and standards are emphasized. Local, regional and national artists and companies of all disciplines submit applications to be considered for the program. A local panel of teachers and administrators screen artist applicants for strong educational material, artistic value and economic feasibility.
Selected artists are published in a directory made available to educators in eligible schools. School representatives apply for funding for one or more programs. A second panel is convened to award funds.
Matching Grant information and deadlines are included in the Artists In Schools Directory. Be sure that your school is informed about our Artist In Schools Education Program.
Artists available for this program are listed in the Artists in Schools Directory published yearly by the Arts Council. There are two components of the Artists in Schools grants. They are:
Artist Residencies – Residencies may vary depending on the needs of the school but generally last one to two weeks. During that time the artist will work with a minimum of two and a maximum of five classes per day. A residency should be an ongoing relationship with the same students each day. The artist is expected to coordinate with the curriculum objectives of the teacher or school.
Assembly Performances & Workshops – Assembly Performances and Workshops may vary depending on the needs of the school but usually consist of one or more performances, approximately an hour long.
Schools participating in the program are listed below:
- Alderman Road Elementary School
- Alma Easom Elementary School
- Anne Chestnut Middle School
- Bill Hefner Elementary School
- Brentwood Elementary
- Cliffdale Elementary School
- Cumberland County AIG K-2 (includes all 52 elementary schools)
- Cumberland County AIG High School (includes all 17 high schools)
- Cumberland Int’l Early College
- Devers Elementary School
- E.E. Miller Elementary School
- Eastover Central Elementary School
- Ed Baldwin Elementary School
- Elizabeth Cashwell Elementary School
- Fayetteville Academy
- Glendale Acres Elementary School
- Gordon Elementary School
- Gray’s Creek High School
- Hampton Primary School
- Howard Hall Classical Elementary School
- Irwin Intermediate School
- Jack Britt High School
- Lillian Black Elementary School
- Manchester Elementary School
- Margaret Willis Elementary School
- Mary McArthur Elementary School
- R. Max Abbott Middle School
- Seventy First Classical Middle School
- Sherwood Park Elementary School
- St Ann’s Catholic School
- St. Patrick’s Catholic School
- Stoney Point Elementary School
- Terry Sanford High School
- Van Story Hills Elementary School
- Village Christian Academy (Elem/Mid)
- Village Christian Academy (High)
- W H Owen Elementary School