Employer: Arts Council of Fayetteville/Cumberland County
Position title: Arts Learning & Artist Services Director
Classification: Full Time
The Arts Learning & Artist Services Director provides management and oversight for the Arts Education, Artist Development and Public Art Programs of the Arts Council. Under the direction of the General Manager, the Director oversees the following components of the Arts Education Program: artists in schools, workshops, lifelong learning activities, internship opportunities, and educational components for festivals, exhibitions and events.
The Director will also create, implement and deliver the artist development strategies for the Arts Council. This includes the Regional Artist Project grant program, artist development, arts council exhibition series, public art, the artist directory and other artist opportunities.
The will work closely with schools, teachers, artists, Arts Council sponsors, the Board of Trustees, the General Manager, artistic and production staff, special events staff, volunteers, and the public.
The following is a summary of the major essential functions of this job. The Arts Learning & Artist Services Director may perform other duties, both major and minor, that are not mentioned below; and specific functions may change from time to time.
- Oversees the Artist in Schools grants, lifelong learning activities, internship opportunities, and educational components for festivals and events.
- Develops, implements, and oversees in-house education programs for students and adults, outreach programs, and regional collaborations with arts and cultural organizations.
- Oversees the creation of educational study guides and coordinates guided tours of gallery exhibitions for students and visitors.
- Serves as Arts Council liaison with community educators.
- Oversees and coordinates the Regional Artist project grant program.
- Development and implementation workshops, collaborations and professional development to strengthen creative individuals.
- Works with event staff to create procedures for artistic opportunities for all Arts Council events such as Fourth Fridays and Festivals.
- Works to create an Artist Directory on the Arts Council website.
- Works with Exhibitions Committee to develop a dynamic exhibits calendar to include juried, curated and traveling exhibitions.
- Works with the Operations Director, Public Art Committee on the Arts Council’s public art program.
The following qualifications, or equivalents, are the minimum requirements necessary to perform the essential functions of this job:
Education and Formal Training: Graduation from a recognized four-year college is required. Degree in arts education, arts administration or art history is preferred.
Work Experience: A minimum of three years of experience in an administrative leadership position in a not-for-profit environment. Experience in arts education programs preferred.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities Required: Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills required to relate to people of varying levels of education and background. Grammar skills and English language aptitude required to detect and/or avoid errors in written material and in reviewing/proofreading final copy. Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task required. Ability to organize and prioritize deadline driven work. Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative. Ability to communicate effectively with board members and community groups. Knowledge of Microsoft Office software required.
Physical Requirements: Work is primarily sedentary, with some standing and carrying of materials. Physical activity increases during special events. Ability to stand, walk or sit for long periods of time required. Speech and hearing skills are required for communication. Visual skills are required in preparing publicity materials, typing and proofreading. Works primarily inside. Ability to lift heavy boxes/packages up to 25 pounds.
Salary is commensurate on experience. Please submit a cover letter (required) and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled. The Arts Council of Fayetteville/Cumberland County is an equal opportunity employer.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required by employees of this job.